[rollei_list] Re: Who uses a T as a 'daily driver'

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:02:37 -0500

At 10:53 PM 2/1/2010, Eric Goldstein wrote:
>We need to check that and specifically what Matanle claims. A MF
>Tessar's optimal design aperture at the time of the recalculation
>(late 50s) would have been f/5.6 at best; f/6.3 more likely. As these
>lenses were designed at f/3.5, they would certainly not be best an
>anything below f/8

Eric

There are two different lenses under discussion here, and I thought I had made that clear. Matanle speaks of the 2.8/50 CZ Tessar on the Contaflex Super B and later miniature-format SLR's. This lens was recomputed at the same time as the 3.5/75 CZ Tessar for the T and as part of the same project by the same designers, working under Hans Sauer.

Again, my own experience is that the 3.5/75 JSK Xenars in the later Rolleicords are adequate lenses but hardly of stunning capabilities. I have used T's on several occasions and have always found the Tessar a grand lens.

Bear in mind that a lot of my photography has been under low-light condition, so I rarely go above f/5.6 with any of my cameras. I will acknowledge that f/4 is the borderline condition for the Prewar front-cell-focusing 2.8/8cm CZJ Tessar as used in the Super Ikonta B and BX folders, but I understand from several users of the Ikoflex III that the unit-focus 2.8/8cm CZJ Tessar used on those cameras was capable of decent images wide-open.

But, yes, a lens designed with a maximum aperture of f/3.5 will probably not shine at f/4!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!