[rollei_list] Scanning

  • From: John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 14:36:23 +0100

Eric, Jim

I did write a short piece in Club Rollei User Issue 7 in Oct 2007 about
scanning negatives...

http://rollei.org.uk/?s2member_file_download=CRU_Issue_07.pdf

It is totally out of date with regard to my evolved workflow in one respect but
the basic principles still apply. I did write an updated version for the Royal
Photographic Society’s “Digit” magazine last year.

John

On 28/09/2012 14:18, "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes John your methodology is a well known and proven method for capturing
contrast that exceeds what the medium can handle... perhaps you can fill Jim in
and provide more detail on the chance that he has multiple exposures of this
scene of for his future edification/use...

Eric Goldstein

--

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 4:02 AM, John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eric,

I have found that by scanning at 2 or 3 different exposures – one under, one
over and one normally – and combining them in HDR software that I can get more
out of an image. If a transparency, there may not be enough in the shadows and
highlights to pull out anyway.

John

On 28/09/2012 07:12, "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx
<http://egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

A digital sure would have done better with capturing contrast... no detail in
the shadow areas that come through on the scan...

Eric Goldstein

--

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Uwe Wolfgang Steinke
<paintingwithlenses@xxxxxxxxx <http://paintingwithlenses@xxxxxxxxx> > wrote:
awesome - digital cameras can hardly reach that!

2012/9/28 Chris Burck <chris.burck@xxxxxxxxx <http://chris.burck@xxxxxxxxx> >

beautiful colors.

On Sep 27, 2012 6:33 PM, "Jim Brick" <jim@xxxxxxxxxx <http://jim@xxxxxxxxxx> >
wrote:
It depends on what your idea of affordable is...

I have one of these lenses for my SL66 and it is absolutely outstanding!

Here is an image via my 40mm FLE.

http://www.photomojo.org/Yellow_Field_Oak_Tree-.jpg

Jim Brick
Sunnyvale, CA