[rollei_list] Re: Scanning

  • From: gramario <gramario@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 15:01:34 +0200

Hi everyone,
I recently got some prints back from B&W negatives (120), done by an external
studio. While talking to my local dealer (who sends them on to this big
studio), he mentioned that nowadays all negatives are scanned (obviously due to
mass production, they no longer use enlargers, etc.). I  wondered what kind of
quality is lost int his scanning process? After all, one reason I use film
(albeit not the only one) is to creatively use grain, rather than be nauseated
by digital noise. Has anyone with more knowledge than I any suggestions, apart
from home printing, to ensure that I can maintain the quality I try to achieve
in my camera?

Many thanks,

gram.