[rollei_list] Re: Scanning

  • From: william schillereff <pastorbill6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:11:20 -0700

This has been a real concern to me.  I have some church documents on larger
floppy disks.  These date from about 1984.  Some of these just are gone.
CPM is gone as are the floppy drives.  Some of my newer stuff is on CDR from
2001.  They have scratches on them from mishandling and a large number of
family looks at the images.  On the other hand I have negs fro years.  I
know numerous was to repair even bent negs and scratched negs.  Finally I do
not know where technology is going and how much interest tomorrows tech will
have about yesteryears pictures.  I have family images dating to the 1860's
and I hope my gr gr grand children will have good images of our family.

From:  Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
Date:  Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:56:08 -0500
To:  <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [rollei_list] Re: Scanning

At 03:27 PM 10/17/2011, Thor wrote, in part:
> How to store digital photos so the they can actually be accessed in 100 years?
> Copying to a new storage medium seems pretty obvious, with the only problem
> being the requirement of continual supply of energy to maintain the bits (or
> go to CD, DVD or BluRay and hope it won't rot and/or be unreadable in 50 to
> 100 years). How many people today can read a floppy disc from a scant 10 years
> ago?

When I put together this computer, which runs XP Pro and Unix, the operating
system refused to recognize 5 1/4" floppies.  I still have a dual 3 1/2" 5
1/4" drive but no operating system that will recognize the larger diskettes.

Also, I know no one in this area that can read an 8" floppy. There used to
be, and may still be, a company in the San Diego area, "Computer
Conversions" that could read and convert just about any media, but they may
be gone by now.

DAW