[rollei_list] Re: Scanning

  • From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 14:35:41 -0500

First thing you should do is ask your vendor if they actually use an
enlarger.  If they don't, find someone who does.  Problem solved.

But as to the "war" between film and digital, film lost that battle years
ago.  Digital has so many advantages that it was simply no contest.

Ask yourself, how many people actually need the higher resolution provided
only by film?  Answer is, not very many, and probably 99% of the images shot
by people today using digital have enough resolution to satisfy them.

Film has become very much of a niche market, desirable for a certain
artistic sensibility, prized for its limitations.

All the other advantages of digital are so great as to be decisive.  You can
see the image right away, which means you cana redo a shot if necessary, and
there is a better learning curve.

There is no need for messy chemicals used in development and printing.  This
is better for the environment.  I used to get rashes on my skin from photo
chemicals.

You can manipulate the picture after processing in so many ways to achieve
what you want.  I recall the old days and how people tried to do retouching
and airbrushing on negs and prints.  It is so much easier now.

And if you don't think the ddigital pictures are sharp enough, they will
continue to improve and eventually surpass any benchmark you might desire.

The thing to remember about digital photography is it's still photography.
There's still a photographer choosing what to photograph.