[rollei_list] Re: Scanning

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:27:18 +0200

Hi David,

I think most of what you wrote is incorrect. However the last part is IMHO key
- photography may be viewed (to oversimplify things for a second) as simply a
storage medium, at least as far as the analogue/digital debate goes. Both offer
a bandwidth and contrast limited storage of light. What the artist
(photographer) chooses to arrange and capture is independent of the capture and
storage medium.

That said, I wonder what will happen with regards to longevity and storage
stability. Film is pretty well documented in that respect, black and white
(silver based) film will store for at least 100 years, probably a lot longer
depending on humidity and temperature. Kodachrome was excellent as well due to
the way the colors were added to the emulsion, rather than subtracted, may it
R.I.P. No added energy required, no special reading mechanism or software
needed.

How to store digital photos so the they can actually be accessed in 100 years?
Copying to a new storage medium seems pretty obvious, with the only problem
being the requirement of continual supply of energy to maintain the bits (or go
to CD, DVD or BluRay and hope it won't rot and/or be unreadable in 50 to 100
years). How many people today can read a floppy disc from a scant 10 years ago?

Anyway, just some random thoughts. Carry on.

Thor