[rollei_list] Re: Scanning

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 14:33:32 -0500

At 02:11 PM 10/21/2011, Willism wrote, in part:
Some of my newer stuff is on CDR from 2001. They have scratches on them from mishandling and a large number of family looks at the images.

Interesting thing- I have a close friend back in La Jolla who is not what one would call computer literate. His nephew gave him some CD's (burned, not manufactured) to play in his car. There were about 9 of them as I recall. He stored the ones he wasn't playing under the car seat. Living in a sandy beach area, you can imagine what that did to the CD's.

I took them home, sanded them with very fine sand paper, and was able to make perfect copies. It turns out that the active data is down under a clear layer of plastic. Since then I have noticed that some video rental companies have a polishing machine just for this purpose.

If you have a severely scratched CD that just won't be read or play, why not go after it with some sand paper or have it polished by one of the shops that do that. Give it a try.

DAW