[rollei_list] Re: Scanning

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 15:58:32 -0500

At 02:41 PM 10/16/2011, Eric Goldstein wrote:
On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM, David Sadowski <<mailto:dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: (snipped)

But as to the "war" between film and digital, film lost that battle years ago. Digital has so many advantages that it was simply no contest.

Your reasoning is analogous to saying that video "taping" won the war with motion picture film. Anyone in the TV or film business knows this is nonsense. Both methods have their uses, advantages and disadvantages. Both are in use today in two separate segments of the market. The same is also true for still digital versus film.

Somehow I once came up with a file size it takes to fully make a digital copy of a Kodachrome slide. The number was only 24 Mb. At that time it was, to me, a big number. Now it's main line.

A few years back while I still lived in La Jolla, we had a power outage so I drove up to the local shopping center where a cub reporter was putting on her makeup to do a live shot. I decided to look into the truck and talk to the operator. I wanted to appear knowledgeable so I said something like "I understand that even though VHS has the consumer market, TV stations use some advanced form of Betamax".

He said "Not at all, this is all digital recording". I failed to ask whether there was digital tape in the hand-held camera or just memory chips. Of course, even now, TV systems, even the high-def types don't do what top-of-the line digital cameras do now. Also, I just bought my wife a new computer to replace her 10-year-old HP that started with Windows 98 and was gradually upgraded to XP- I just couldn't handle XP in a timely manner. Her new monitor is self-adjusting and comes in at 1900 X 900, just fantastic.

I would guess that Richard Knoppow can give us a quick summary of what directions things are going now since he works in the industry.

Getting back to film vs digital for commercial motion pictures, it's clear to me that digital will win in the end. It costs about $2,500 to make a film copy of a standard movie, and about $500 to ship, return, and insure it and that cost is for every screen. Digital can be sent by satellite or other means and is encrypted so that it can't be copied in it's primary form. I took on a little project for Lucas a few years back and saw the same movie and in digital form. I walked up to a couple of feet from the screens in both cases and it was clear that the film version wasn't any better than the digital display. The only downside is that, at least at that time, the startup cost was around $150,000 per screen, surely that's down a lot by now. TI was making a bundle on it's DLP systems at the time.

DAW