[rollei_list] Re: Print Exchange

  • From: slobodan dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:33:55 -0700

The question on the table is about printing on silver gelatin as a preference.

I'm not concerned about the angels on a pin head argument.
S.

On May 18, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Daniel Ridings wrote:

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:00 PM,  <Choiliefan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm curious Slo, if you are proficient with Photoshop?
I can make inkjet prints using simple software but can't dodge or burn or
work contrast to the extent I could in the wet darkroom.

Believe me, if you are making 15 prints for a print exchange, you
don't dodge and burn in the darkroom either.

I take great care with my negative processing. I've found that I don't
need to dodge and burn in Photoshop. Levels and curves get me all I
need.

You _can_ dodge and burn (in Photoshop) ... I just haven't needed to
bother with it. If you start using layer masks you can get as much, if
not more, done in Photoshop than the darkroom. And ... you can do it
time after time (print after print) consistently. I'm not a Picasso so
I don't need to have unique prints. I'm happy to be able to churn out
10 gorgeous duplicate prints with those lovely inks.

Ask Mark Rabiner. He has one of mine.

Still don't understand how to make a test strip with an inkjet without breaking the bank on wasted ink... Is what you see on the monitor supposed
to be what you get on that first print?

You don't need test strips if your monitor/printer are calibrated.
What you see is what you get.

Perhaps I need some permutation of Photoshop and a calibrated high end monitor and better printer and time to learn and additional money for lots
of ink and paper to do what I used to in the wet darkroom?

Actually, we photographers don't have much of a choice when it comes
to monitors anymore. The standard flatscreens are lousy (Macintosh is
no exception here) and we are referred to higher end monitors (Eizo,
but they don't have to be the best. Eizo makes some decent low-end
monitors).

What you need when it comes to time is something only you can answer.

When we could buy carbon inks from MIS Associates, ink was not an
issue. I used four 200 mililiter bottles and they lasted for ages
(longer than the printer, actually). I was using an Epson C86.

My local community college offers a Photoshop Elements course but
unfortunately can't sign up enough students to fill a class so I slog
through this quagmire alone.

Yeah, it's a chore, I'll grant you that. There are some books on
Photoshop geared towards photographers. You can't just browser through
them, but if you work your way through them, it can be rewarding.

Daniel