[rollei_list] Re: Print Exchange

  • From: Choiliefan@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 13:00:21 EDT

I'm curious Slo, if you are proficient with Photoshop?
I can make inkjet prints using simple software but can't dodge or burn or
work contrast to the extent I could in the wet darkroom.
Still don't understand how to make a test strip with an inkjet without
breaking the bank on wasted ink...  Is what you see on the monitor supposed  to
be
what you get on that first print?
My experience with an HP Photosmart printer doing simple family pix  has been
mixed but I'm not necessarily looking to create fine art.
Perhaps I need some permutation of Photoshop and a calibrated high end
monitor and better printer and time to learn and additional money for lots of
ink
and paper to do what I used to in the wet darkroom?
My local community college offers a Photoshop Elements course but
unfortunately can't sign up enough students to fill a class so I slog through
this
quagmire alone.
Compounding this frustration is the nearest camera/photo store,  staffed by
knowledgeable people is a 75 mile round trip from here.
The folks at the local Office Max will happily sell a cartridge  but are of
little help when it comes to the fine points of making a decent  print other
than to throw more money at it.
Must be a good day to vent...
(^:
Health, Peace
Lance
Selma, NC 27576

~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a message dated 5/18/2008 12:20:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Go out  of town for a few days and the conversation goes south in a
knee  jerk!

The issue is not whether one is better than the other. What I  brought
up was the need to maintain proficiency through practice in  one area
of photography, i.e. darkroom practice.
Using exchanges,  such as postcards, prints, etc., is a way of
providing purpose to  using the darkroom.
Digitally, I shoot anywhere from a few hundred  exposures to several
thousand each week. That allows me to maintain  a modicum of
proficiency with it. On the other hand, I'm having to  find real life
excuses to shoot with film these days. Which is the  reason I
suggested a silver gelatin print exchange to begin with.  It's a
different skills application, and to some degree, it's  another manner
of visualization.
Some time ago, and I think I  brought it up then, I went to a
demonstration in downtown Los  Angeles. The event was not assigned, so
I went with my 6003 with a  40mm and an 80mm. I used the 40mm mainly.
But, while I was there, I  noticed a number of acquaintances with
Leicas, also there  non-assigned. I asked a few of them about it, and
the answer was the  same. They wanted to reconnect with what first
brought them to  photography, which happened when film was still in
use. Mind you,  it's not that long ago.
On the other hand, the larger formats bring yet  another element to
the table, that is the role of craftsmanship. By  their nature, 120
and 4x5, etc., they make one work with a different  pace and a more
focused attention to detail, visually an  technically. That's from the
shoot. to processing, and finally to  the print. Though there is a
differentiation between BW and color  practice, mainly in the amount
of hands on involvement the  photographer chooses to have.
However, if I have a digital back on a 120 or  4x5 camera, then going
to a printer finished product is not only the  obvious choice, but for
the most part the only choice. Hence it  doesn't even enter into my
frame of approach.
I shoot BW film  because of its constraints. It has my attention
because it makes me  work at getting an acceptable image. I shoot
digital because of its  freedom from technical issues I used to have
with chromes, such as  color temperature balance and contrast problems.
The argument, which is  better or whatnot, is almost non-sensical
these days. It should only  matter when the first question is asked,
"what do I want to do, and  how do I want to say it." In this instance
I want to do silver  gelatin prints, and exchange them with like
minded  people.

The number of participants in a  print exchange, in my  experience,
should be no more than 10-12.

Recent  work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/angelsgate/
...and a  set;
http://www.flickr.com/groups/439335@N22/pool/

Slobodan  Dimitrov

- Post to  rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Subscribe at  rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'
in the subject field OR  by logging into www.freelists.org

- Online, searchable archives are  available  at

favorites at AOL Food.