[rollei_list] Re: Print Exchange

  • From: slobodan dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 09:19:53 -0700

Go out of town for a few days and the conversation goes south in a knee jerk!

The issue is not whether one is better than the other. What I brought up was the need to maintain proficiency through practice in one area of photography, i.e. darkroom practice. Using exchanges, such as postcards, prints, etc., is a way of providing purpose to using the darkroom. Digitally, I shoot anywhere from a few hundred exposures to several thousand each week. That allows me to maintain a modicum of proficiency with it. On the other hand, I'm having to find real life excuses to shoot with film these days. Which is the reason I suggested a silver gelatin print exchange to begin with. It's a different skills application, and to some degree, it's another manner of visualization. Some time ago, and I think I brought it up then, I went to a demonstration in downtown Los Angeles. The event was not assigned, so I went with my 6003 with a 40mm and an 80mm. I used the 40mm mainly. But, while I was there, I noticed a number of acquaintances with Leicas, also there non-assigned. I asked a few of them about it, and the answer was the same. They wanted to reconnect with what first brought them to photography, which happened when film was still in use. Mind you, it's not that long ago. On the other hand, the larger formats bring yet another element to the table, that is the role of craftsmanship. By their nature, 120 and 4x5, etc., they make one work with a different pace and a more focused attention to detail, visually an technically. That's from the shoot. to processing, and finally to the print. Though there is a differentiation between BW and color practice, mainly in the amount of hands on involvement the photographer chooses to have. However, if I have a digital back on a 120 or 4x5 camera, then going to a printer finished product is not only the obvious choice, but for the most part the only choice. Hence it doesn't even enter into my frame of approach. I shoot BW film because of its constraints. It has my attention because it makes me work at getting an acceptable image. I shoot digital because of its freedom from technical issues I used to have with chromes, such as color temperature balance and contrast problems. The argument, which is better or whatnot, is almost non-sensical these days. It should only matter when the first question is asked, "what do I want to do, and how do I want to say it." In this instance I want to do silver gelatin prints, and exchange them with like minded people.

The number of participants in a print exchange, in my experience, should be no more than 10-12.

Recent work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/angelsgate/
...and a set;
http://www.flickr.com/groups/439335@N22/pool/