[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leitz Neverload Kit

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:00:15 -0300

2009/9/30 Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
...> I never heard of any camera but a Leica falling a mile during a parachute
> drop and still be usable upon landing.  Even a Nikon couldn't put up with
> that!

I heard about a camera that survived a 1000 feet free fall, it was a
Rollei 35. It belongs to Captain Roddey Dowd, a paratroop officer in
the US Forces. The Rollei 35 was in his pack with a poncho, the
sleeping bag and other things when he jumped during a nocturnal
practice. He lost his pack at 1000 feet and when he found it again
after landing, he could see that only three elements survived the
drop: the Rollei 35, the sleeping bag and the poncho. An overhaul at
Honeywell Denver repair shop established that only the exposure meter
pointer was disconnected and a little dent needed repair. The camera
was undamaged and 100% usable, this condition talked about the Rollei
rugged construction.
This fact was documented at Honeywell and commented to the factory;
Claus Prochnow tells the story in his book "Rollei 35, a camera
History".
BTW, I have no doubt the poncho and the sleeping bag helped the Rollei
35 to survive, but a 1000 feet free fall knock must be a terrific
knock, the shock waves and vibrations only could destroy a lot of
things.