[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leitz Neverload Kit

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:36:30 -0700

Yes I am an engineer. Leica uses this silly comment for their Ms but never
comment on the fact that their R bodies use the lesser hinged door. They
talk out of both sides of their mount. Another reason I dislike them. I
always hated liars.
As to the mile high drop test, I do not think that was a test, I think it
was a a user who was trying to load film in one and simply decided to
jettison the Leica in favor of a more usable and modern camera. I for one am
amazed Leica camera is still in business. Their driving force, INERTIA,
standing still in the face of progress.
But I must admit my little Panasonic has a nice Leica lens on it. As I said,
great lenses, shitty camera.

Peter K

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> At 01:32 PM 9/30/2009, Peter K. wrote:
>
>> Marc,
>>
>> Not being the most familiar with the Nikon SP there is some info here:
>>
>> <http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonsp.htm>
>> http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonsp.htm
>>
>> I am sure that Contax had its first, but the hinged rear door which was
>> first used by Minolta, made film changing simple. Of course the Leica R used
>> it as they had the deal with Minolta, but Leica never modernized the M body
>> with a simple loading system. Ashame, great lenses, crappy body (just my
>> opinion).
>>

> Peter
>
> Aren't you an engineer?  If so, you understand that an integral body is
> stronger than an interrupted body.  Leitz argued from 1933 until 1990
> whether to have a hinged door and chose not to do so on the sole grounds of
> strength.  There were MANY cameras in the 1950's with hinged backs and we
> have forgotten most of them today, as they were a lot weaker than the
> integral-body cameras.
>
> I never heard of any camera but a Leica falling a mile during a parachute
> drop and still be usable upon landing.  Even a Nikon couldn't put up with
> that!
>
> Marc

> - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the

> the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org