[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leitz Neverload Kit

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:49:47 -0400

At 01:32 PM 9/30/2009, Peter K. wrote:
Marc,

Not being the most familiar with the Nikon SP there is some info here:

<http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonsp.htm>http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonsp.htm

I am sure that Contax had its first, but the hinged rear door which was first used by Minolta, made film changing simple. Of course the Leica R used it as they had the deal with Minolta, but Leica never modernized the M body with a simple loading system. Ashame, great lenses, crappy body (just my opinion).

Peter

Aren't you an engineer? If so, you understand that an integral body is stronger than an interrupted body. Leitz argued from 1933 until 1990 whether to have a hinged door and chose not to do so on the sole grounds of strength. There were MANY cameras in the 1950's with hinged backs and we have forgotten most of them today, as they were a lot weaker than the integral-body cameras.

I never heard of any camera but a Leica falling a mile during a parachute drop and still be usable upon landing. Even a Nikon couldn't put up with that!