[rollei_list] Re: OT Artistic Voices (was Re: OT Mapplethorpe)

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:03:59 -0500

At 10:52 PM 3/10/2010, Dennis Purdy wrote:

The value of life is measured in art. Those who achieve the highest stature of life get all their material substance from artists.. Architects, furniture makers, painters, landscapers, clothing makers... everything is measured in art. Art is what gives special value to life. Art is about inspiration. Art is the thing that makes leaps in the linear progression of life. Sure love and family is important as well, love and family gets or should get public support. The human race is full of people with specific capabilities and specific limitations. An enlightened people will support the important strengths of those otherwise limited. Otherwise you are pretty much a natzi.

Well, I certainly disagree with your fundamental tenent, Dennis. As I have previously stated, visual art does nothing to me save to provide illustrations for history books and tech manuals. It does not add one bit of value to my existence.

And, uh, Earth to Planet Dennis? The Nazis (note spelling) were really BIG on government funding of the arts. Sure, they just wanted THEIR version of the arts funded but, still, they paid a lot of money for a lot of visual art even late in WWII. And the pragmatic side of the taxpayer-funding is illustrated by the Nazi experience: HOW can a fair determination be made of what art ought to be funded and what art ignored? As the decision is impossible to make, then that is yet another reason why taxpayer funding of the arts is so much lunacy.

But, even if you were correct, there is still no provision to allow the US government to pay from this under our Constitution.