[rollei_list] Re: OT Artistic Voices (was Re: OT Mapplethorpe)

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:56:17 -0500

At 06:42 PM 3/8/2010, Chris Burck wrote:
>money comes from the NEA in the form of grants.  a grant is not just
>doled out willy-nilly, without thought or consideration.  you have to
>apply for it, spelling out what you intend to achieve and how.  and
>once you get the money, you have to account for how it's spent.  now,
>the thing i find so telling about rants like jacoby's is that not once
>does he claim that any of these works that he cites were created using
>NEA funds.  just that they were created/exhibited/performed by
>individuals or institutions that received NEA grant money.  not the
>same thing.

Please sign your posts.

You are absolutely correct, but who is judging the worth of these grant applications? A bunch of folks who are wedded to the process. Why not pick fifteen folks at random from the US citizenry to evaluate applications for such grants? Oh, shock and horror! Asking the COMMON PEOPLE to participate in PROPER ART! Argh!

I might go along with that selection process. I am part of the "power elite" but I detest the manner in which the "power elite" has imposed their Debutante Ball standards onto art. I disagree with Andy Jackson on a lot of points but I agree with his view of art: "if the folks want it, they will buy it", when it was suggested that the US set up an art museum.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!