[rollei_list] Re: Happy New Year!

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:19:49 -0800

At 07:38 AM 1/4/2006 -0500, Bob Shell wrote:

On Jan 3, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Don Williams wrote:

To quote one source: "Codec is short for COmpression and DECcompression"

And to quote another source, "Codec is a contraction of COder/DECoder"

Bob

As it turns out, Bob's response was what I would have said and exactly the way I have used the term for a long time. I just happened to do a search and the first definition turned up.

Sort of like the derivation of the word "modem".

I don't think it really matters much anyhow.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA