[rollei_list] Re: Happy New Year!

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:36:40 -0500

At 12:10 AM 1/1/06 +0000, jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

I studied Welsh in college to acquire access to the early Welsh poetry for
a paper I wrote on Sub-Roman Britain.  I have kept up with my studies of
Irish and Scots Gaelic (there is only one Gaelic language, though with five
dialects.  Unfortunately, that of Leinster is extinct, and it marked the
transition from Connaught, Ulster, and Munster Gaelic to Scots Gaelic, so
they now seem to be distinct tongues though they are not so.  I visited
Ireland in 2001 and happily chattered away in pubs in Scots Gaelic and the
barkeeps obviously understood me, though I was surprised that none found
exception to an obvious US tourist speaking some of the Gaelic.)

Welsh is a really grand tongue and it shows its heritage from having been
the primary language of a proud and vibrant Roman province.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505