[rollei_list] Re: Happy New Year!

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 16:47:09 +0000

Good idea Richard. I shall mention it but one of the things she was wanting was to have a radio alarm to wake her up to the Radio 4 "today" programme, her computer is not in her bedroom!
Frank
I am pretty fond of Radio 7 too and I have a DAB tuner connected to my stereo so get it well enough. Sadly the bitrate for DAB has slowly got less and less since its introduction as they are jamming more and more channels onto the same multiplex. The hardwired standard is MP2 also - which means fairly high bitrates for top quality. I would say that only radio 3 on DAB is competitive with a good FM tuner nowadays :-(

On 1 Jan, 2006, at 15:42, Richard Knoppow wrote:

Hi Richard,
my eldest daughter settled in Wales after studying for her PhD there. She speaks and reads some Welsh and is very happy and integrated. Her biggest regret though is that Radio 4, from the BBC, is not available. They have Radio Wales instead which has a much more parochial content, Radio 4 is more countrywide and worldwide. Radio 4 is permanently tuned to in the Dernie household and cars :-) My wife also speaks a little Welsh as she conducts a Welsh male voice choir.
Frank

Its possible she might be able to hear Radio-4 on her computer, its available on the web. I am also a fan of Radio-4, and also Radio-7. I am on a dial up and get reasonable quality.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx