[roc-chat] Re: High Desert Rocketeers

  • From: Mike Riss <rockt_dude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:37:15 -0700 (PDT)

Coffee family,

I have no specific recommendations for a particular kit, as there are many that
will work for what you want, and likely you will end up with several in your
fleet   :-)    However, there are a couple of generalizations that I'd like to
offer:

1) Consider your budget and near-term plans, as the depth and breadth of what's
available can quickly become overwhelming (either, "Man, I can't decide what I
want", or "Man, I want one of everything!").

2) Pick something that appeals to you.  For example, one of my first larger
rockets was a V2, which I fell in love with when I built a small one for extra
credit on a high-school history paper on WWII.  Whether it's the shape, size,
or something you can't quite put your finger on, it's just like your first car,
a memory that will stick with you for the rest of your life.  However, if your
favorite is something like a Saturn V, maybe make it your second or third
purchase  ;-)

3) Propulsion is just as important as the vehicle.  If you're looking at
reloadable motors instead of single use, consider one of the adapter systems.
They allow use of a "smaller-sized" reload in a larger case.  In other words,
you only need one casing as opposed to several.  It's a little more $$$ up
front, but pays for itself pretty quickly.  You'll enjoy the versatility it
allows as your fleet expands.

4) Sometimes it's hard to get out to the lakebed early enough to help with
setup ;-)  But, if you can stick around after the launch, consider tear-down.
I find it a little easier to get used to the equipment seeing it already set
up, plus it's a good time to talk and ask questions about any and all things
rocketry-related, as well as to get to know other people in the club.  Also,
consider helping out during the launch as either Pad Manager, or as a spotter
for the LCO.  As PM, you get to see a lot of people and rockets, which can help
you with ideas on the direction(s) you want to head in the hobby.

Mike

P.S.  In addition to the links that Chris K. provided in another post, there's
another group that flies somewhat close to you (near Mojave), MDARS:

www.mdars.info

They have a launch coming up on the 27th.  If you're free, you might want to
check it out for a way to get "face-to-face" before ROCStock with some people
kind-of in your area that may have leads on local rocketry resources.