[roc-chat] Re: High Desert Rocketeers

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:19:37 -0700

On 10/16/2012 3:44 PM, rtd@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with the choice of an Initiator (heck, I just bought another one from Jack on Saturday!), but if he'd like to get a slightly higher flier in the Aerotech lineup, I'd recommend the Mustang. Pros/cons: Initiator is a bit bigger/wider, thus gives a more impressive display on lift-off, and less chance of losing it to the wind due to lower altitude, but the larger fins are more easily 'bent' over time. If one starts to get 'altitude fever', the Mustang is a bit of a higher altitude rocket, but still (mostly) easily recoverable.

For ANY of the Aerotech kits, I always recommend moving up one parachute size due to the hardness of the lakebed. Further, at the step where you're supposed to glue the thrust washer/thrust ring together, CA never seems to work right -- either use epoxy or yellow wood glue. I also recommend epoxy for the launch lugs. Finally, if using a reloadable motor, ALWAYS use one or two layers of masking tape around the engine hook and engine. The Aerotech engine hook (at least for me) seems to have about a 50% chance of kicking the engine at ejection, no matter what type of engine I use, unless I've taped it.

As an alternative (and agreeing with Michael Klett), I would highly recommend the Polecat Goblin. However, IMHO, one should always use positive motor retention in the Polecat kits, which for me generally means purchase of an Aeropack retainer -- a bit pricey for someone's first rocket. That being said, the Goblin would be great for someone starting with mid-power, as it's easily used as a Level 1 rocket.

David Erbas-White

When I talked to Chris on the phone earlier today, he mentioned that he was contemplating the purchase of an Aerotech Initiator kit as his first foray into mid-power. I let him know that it's a great little flyer, and hard to go wrong with, but I suspect that just about everyone here probably has a favorite "getting your feet wet" rocket kit to suggest, and I'm curious to see what everyone suggests.