[pure-silver] Re: temp for flattening prints

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:24:36 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:06 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] temp for flattening prints

I think I am going to check the temperature that that dry mount press I have been using gets to. It doesn't seem to get very hot to me. But, what is the right temperature for flattening prints?

--shannon

I set mine up for low temperature tissue, maybe 160F, it doesn't have to be very hot. The key is to do it right. Make a sandwich of the print with a couple of sheets of clean Kraft paper on the support side. The paper should be dried out in the press first. Place a sheet of release tissue on the emulsion side of the print. Put this sandwich, along with any padding you normally use, in the press for about two minutes. You don't have to lock the press but I usually do. When the two minutes are up place the entire sandwich- kraft paper, print, and release tissue- under a flat weight to cool. A sheet of Aluminum is best but any flat, smooth surface, material will do. The idea of this system is that it dries out the print from the support side but does not over dry the emulsion due to the impervious release tissue. Cooling under the flat weight is important, the process will not work without that.
Aluminum is best because it is an excellent heat conductor, but even a plywood weight will do. The print should stay under the weight until cool, perhaps a few minutes, depending on the material.

---