[pure-silver] Re: temp for flattening prints

  • From: "Eric Neilsen Photography" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:15:54 -0500

Shannon, For print flattening I use a temp lower than 150, perhaps down to
125. It depends on the paper, and whether I am just getting it flatter or do
I really need to flatten it. If the print is going to be shipped, delivered
across town, put in a box, blah , blah.  And I don't think that the temp is
that important by itself, but also how you cool it.

Both the aluminum sheets or glass work fine. I use a stack of poster board
and matte board.  I don't normally flatten just one print at a time but a
whole batch. I heat them, and place them in the stack. While the whole stack
may gain a little heat, they all just sit there as long as I can let them.

You may also find that the prints gain back some of the curl after they come
out of the cold press. I have seen this in both really damp climates and
really dry ones, but mostly in damp ones.

They also made test strips to see where your press is heating. The old ones
that I have are for the 190 to 210 range, orange and blue. I haven't looked
for the new range , say 160 to 170. The new ink jet tissues are also low
temp tack around 150 to 160.

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street