[pure-silver] Re: temp for flattening prints

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:09:00 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 7:36 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: temp for flattening prints

I almost always notice that the curl comes back, usually more so with glossy rather than matte surfaces.

I usually leave the ones I need to be completely flat in the cold press for a few weeks or so, between sheets of mat board.

-Adrienne Moumin

Back in the bad old days it was common to flatten prints in a book press, this is still an acceptable method. It was also common for commercial photgraphers or photofinishers to use mechanical straighteners. These consised of a roller mechanism that led the print over a straight-edge. They flattened the print alright but could cause damage to the emulsion and substrate that might not show up for years.
The main reason for curling is differential shrinkage of the emulsion and its support.

---