[pure-silver] Re: Sink Decisions and Waterproofing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:59:59 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary W. Marklund" <Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 10:32 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Sink Decisions and Waterproofing

Ben,

I built a plywood/fiberglass sink two years ago. Now have sold the house and
moving into another. If I do build my own sink again, I will NOT use any
fiberglass cloth in between layers of fiberglass. That was a big mistake. I
would just use the fiberglass. Probably at least three layers. Someone
mentioned the West Marine system. That is what I would use next time. One
very good reason is that they have measuring syringes to help keep the
proportions in order. This is important because you will be making numerous
batches. They also offer a selection of hardeners that will let you choose
your set-up time. The faster it hardens the more batches you need to deal
with.

I made my joints with a router, glued them together and secured with brass
screws. I cut slots in lengths of pipe insulation and put that along the
front top edge. That foam is easier to rest your arms on than a sharp plywood
edge.

Good luck,
Gary

What problems were caused by the fiberglass cloth?

---