[pure-silver] Re: Sink Decisions and Waterproofing

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:07:52 -0700

WOW!!!

After reading all of the sink posts, I'm overwhelmed.

I subscribe to the KISS principle... Keep It Simple Stupid, which is why I simply glued and screwed a plywood sink together, no calk, no glass, no rubber, no beads, no screen, no nuthin' except plywood, glue, screws, and marine epoxy resin.

It is tough as nails, odorless, nice round edges (I think I did four coats - it is thick stuff and fills in all cracks, crevices, seams, corners, etc.) so you can lean on the edge all day without pain.

And, as I said, this sink is fifteen+ years old with absolutely no signs of deterioration. It doesn't stain. It is just clear epoxy resin over plywood.

I have a drain in the far corner of the L shape part and a drain in the back corner of the long side. I sunk the drains slightly into the plywood and then epoxied the sink and over the drain rims. So the drains are captive under the epoxy. There's nothing to go bad.

The reasons for making my own sink is that I wanted it custom fit into my darkroom and I wanted high splashes. 8" front and side splashes, and 24" back splash. This is a godsend as the whole sink can be hosed down without worrying about slopping water/chemicals onto where it shouldn't be slopped.

KISS. The older I get, the more I appreciate the concept.

:-)

Jim