[pure-silver] Re: Replacement for Agfa Multicontrast Developer

  • From: Per Ohstrom <ohstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 8:48:34 +0100

Richard,
Thank you for valuable tips.

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 01:47:45 +0100, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>    Liquid Dektol, sold as Polymax in the US, is too slow try diluting it
> less. Try 1:4, which is double the strength. The development times and
> capacity will then be similar to the Agfa developer.

Good idea. I have a little Dektol left and shall try that. Is that really the
same as Polymax? Polymax kan be bought here in 0.5 litre bottles and Dektol in
5 litre bottles. Didn't suspect they were the same thing.

> If you are willing
> to mix from a powder try Ilford Bromophen. This is a Phenidone version
> of Dektol. Again, it can be used at stronger dilutions than the
> instructions indicate. In fact, this is also true of powdered Dektol.
> Diluting it 1:1 instead of 1:2 will develop faster and have greater
> capicity.

I might try these too.

>    Time of development depends on several factors. Most RC papers have
> some developer in or under the emulsion to make them useable on rapid
> activation processors. This incorporated developer makes them develop
> faster than papers without it. No fiber paper has incroporated developer.
>    Generally, development times of under one minute are not recommended
> because there is too much chance of mottling due to uneven absorption of
> developer by the emulsion.

You are so right. The shorter RC developing time is for Agfa MCP and Ilford MG.
Other RC papers seem to need a bit more than 50 secs.

Thanks again,

Per