[pure-silver] Re: Replacement for Agfa Multicontrast Developer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 18:44:03 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Zentena" <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:27 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Replacement for Agfa Multicontrast Developer

On Sunday 05 February 2006 19:47, Richard Knoppow wrote:

Liquid Dektol, sold as Polymax in the US, is too slow
try diluting it less. Try 1:4, which is double the strength.
The development times and capacity will then be similar to
the Agfa developer. If you are willing to mix from a powder

According to the Kodak publication at 1:9 the capacity of Polymax is 120
8x10s per gallon. The Agfa Multicontrast had a capacity of about that at 1:4
per litre. My guess is it'll take more then doubling to get similar capacity.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j5/j5.jhtml?id=0.1.14.34.9.16.6&lc=en#05

Agfa pdfs seem to be gone. But 100 8x10s per litre at 1:4 sounds right. The
stuff really lasts forever.

Nick

I have the Agfa data sheets on file. For Multicontrast developer 2 data for 2 dilutions are given. For 1+4 the recommended times are, at 68F

1+4
RC  50 seconds
Baryta   90 seconds

1+6
RC  75 seconds
Baryta  110 seconds

Capacity is given only for 1+4, it is 200 8x10 sheets of RC, no capacity is given for baryta paper but there is a note that the capacity depends on how much developer is absorbed by the paper.

Data for Polymax T developer, which is a liquid concentrate similar, but not identical, to Dektol shows data for only one dilution, 1+9.

Time of developement
at 68F

Baryta paper; 45 seconds to 4 minutes.
RC paper;     45 seconds to 3 minutes.

These are the extremes of the range, specific times are given for various Kodak papers, 1 minute for RC paper and 2 minutes for Baryta paper.

Capacity is given as 120 sheets of 8x10 per gallon regardless of paper type.

I suspect the capacity of the two developers is similar but that Kodak's data is more conservative.

Capacity of Dektol at 1:2 is given as 120 8x10 sheets per gallon with similar developing times.

Richard Henry discovered that Dektol at 1:1 had greater capacity than at 1:2. Dmax is the same for both dilutions but becomes less if greater dilution is used.

LPD appears to be very similar to Ilford Bromophen, i.e., a conventional paper developer using Phenidone and Hydroquinone.
The difference between cold and warm tone developers is mostly activity. However, Agfa Neutol WA appears to be employ Hydroquinone as the sole developing agent. Such developers are described in the literature but the old formulas generally lose a lot of paper speed and are limited in their Dmax. I suspect the MSDS for Agfa Neutol WA is incomplete, as are most Agfa MSDS.
I haven't checked Ilford Multigrade developer lately but it was essentially a liquid version of Bromophen. It was also sold under a couple of different names in different parts of the world.
The image color produced by most paper developers can be modified to some extent by adding either Potassium bromide (warms it up) or Benzotriazole (cools it down).
The point that I am trying to make is that there is no magic paper developer. All commercially packaged formulas are very similar and are mainly of two types: those using Metol and Hydroquinone, and those using Phenidone and Hydroquinone. If matched for strength (dilution) there should be little difference in paper speed, developing times, image color, or Dmax.

---