[pure-silver] Re: Replacement for Agfa Multicontrast Developer

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 16:41:47 -0600

Reports state that Neutol and Neutol WA will be made again by the company
that took over Agfa's service contract for the minilabs. I use WA in a Nova
slot processor and it is beautiful, rich blacks, long life and works even
when it is like treacle.

I like that developer too. With Azo, it gives a scale almost like Azo with amidol.

--shannon

On 5/2/06 19:17, "Marc" <marc.peeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hello,

 don't know that they have the stuff in your country but here in Belgium and
 Holland there are the magnificent developers of Amaloco.
 Great in all the ways.  I love these developers.  I prefer AM6006 for my
 Agfa and Ilford papers.
 I don't know how it works with the Nova processor.  You can ask them on
 there site.

 www.amaloco.nl

 by
 Marc

----- Original Message ----- From: "Per Ohstrom" <ohstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:21 PM Subject: [pure-silver] Replacement for Agfa Multicontrast Developer

 Now when Agfa Photo is gone and their chemistry hard to find, I am looking
 for a replacement for the Agfa Multicontrast paper developer. Does anyone
 have anything good to suggest?

 I liked the Multicontrast because
 1. it gave good blacks on most papers (both RC and FB)
 2. it was quick (50 secs for RC, 90 for fiber)
 3. it had good keeping properties (I'm using a Nova slot processor and
 like to wait some 2-3 months before replacing the chemistry - of course I
 replenish after every printing session)
 4. it had very good capacity

 So far I have tried Paterson's Acugrade 2 and Kodak Dektol (the liquid
 which is mixed 1+9, not the powder). Acugrade does not give the same
 blacks and I am a bit suspicious about it's longevity. Dektol gives almost
 as good blacks as the Multicontrast, but needs a lot more time (90 secs to
 3 minutes). I have also used Ilford Multigrade Developer, but that was
 years ago, and I remember it as "softer" than the Agfa MC.

 The papers I use are Agfa Multicontrast (RC and FB) as long as my supply
 lasts, Ilford Multigrade IV (RC and FB), Emaks FB, FinePrint G RC and
 Forte Polywarmtone FB.

 So, suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

 Per