[pure-silver] Replacement for Agfa Multicontrast Developer

  • From: "Per Ohstrom" <ohstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:21:49 +0100

Now when Agfa Photo is gone and their chemistry hard to find, I am looking for a replacement for the Agfa Multicontrast paper developer. Does anyone have anything good to suggest?

I liked the Multicontrast because
1. it gave good blacks on most papers (both RC and FB)
2. it was quick (50 secs for RC, 90 for fiber)
3. it had good keeping properties (I'm using a Nova slot processor and like to wait some 2-3 months before replacing the chemistry - of course I replenish after every printing session)
4. it had very good capacity

So far I have tried Paterson's Acugrade 2 and Kodak Dektol (the liquid which is mixed 1+9, not the powder). Acugrade does not give the same blacks and I am a bit suspicious about it's longevity. Dektol gives almost as good blacks as the Multicontrast, but needs a lot more time (90 secs to 3 minutes). I have also used Ilford Multigrade Developer, but that was years ago, and I remember it as "softer" than the Agfa MC.

The papers I use are Agfa Multicontrast (RC and FB) as long as my supply lasts, Ilford Multigrade IV (RC and FB), Emaks FB, FinePrint G RC and Forte Polywarmtone FB.

So, suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Per