[pure-silver] Re: Refrigerate film?

  • From: "Ken Hart1" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 23:30:19 -0400

Regarding the appropriate temperature at which to store film, my
approach is that if cold is good, colder is better. That may not
be entirely true, but within my household capabilities I don't
believe I can even approach the extremes at which this philosophy
starts to break down. But Bob (Adler) I am still hanging on to my
fear of condensation.
Bob Younger

The explanation I'd been taught was that film started to 'age' from the moment it was manufactured, and that aging included a color shift. The aging is a chemical reaction, and cold temps slow most (and this) chemical reaction. So, the colder the film storage, the slower the aging process.

As for Mr Lindan's crusade regarding condensation on cold film, I've never had any problem with condensation. But then, I usually let film set out at room temp for an hour or so before using. (I've read Mr. Lindan's posts on other subjects, and I respect his opinions nearly as much as Richard K!)