[pure-silver] Re: Refrigerate film?

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 05:24:44 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

     The problem is not focusing of light by droplets but rather distortion of
the emulsion layer by the water which can leave mottling and marks like water
spots from droplets when film is drying. The warning is universal in the
literature and in Kodak's instructions. While modern emulsions are harder than
those of the past and should be more resistant to this kind of damage it can
still happen. It may not be necessary to wait very long when opening film that
has only been refrigerated but frozen film should be alowed to warm up for some
time before opening. I will see if I can find the Kodak bulletin about this.