[pure-silver] Re: Paraformaldehyde/Acetone in lith developers

  • From: Robert Hall <robert.g.hall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:29:04 -0700

Thank you all for your knowledge and input,

Could one say that the majority of commercially available lith developers
use paraformaldehyde? Any speculation as to which of the developers will
last longer in the tray?

As I have been reprinting my China portfolio for a couple of shows I have
scheduled this Spring, I have been running through a lot of lith developer
and the costs have been a bit higher than I have been used to spending.

After the last batch with new prices on a particular lith developer, the
cost has risen to about a dollar a print for development alone.

In the past I have had much less expensive developers and a broader
selection available and have for probably about 10 years thought of trying
other formula, but as I have all of the chemicals available, I have
forgotten what I have spent on them. I suppose the first experiments will
simply be to see how well the different formula work then doing the
calculations after the fact to see what the costs of each are in relation to
performance.

I will stay with my current processes for consistency on the portfolio but
have a decent amount of the paper left and would like to find an active
developer to keep me from spending 30 minutes processing a print from
exposure through development.

Thank you again,

Robert Hall
www.RobertHall.com