[pure-silver] Re: Paraformaldehyde/Acetone in lith developers

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:16:16 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Hall" <robert.g.hall@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:49 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Paraformaldehyde/Acetone in lith developers

I'll be your Huckleberry...

"Note that he states that metaborate is inferior to borax as a buffer."

Why would I want to know this?

At one time Kodak was pushing Kodalk formulas because of the buffering ability of Kodalk. Evidently it was never true. This included a Kodalk version of D-76. In fact, its possible the packaged version of D-76 may have been the Kodalk version for a time (a long time ago). D-76 needs a buffer because of a slow interaction between hydroquinone and sulfite which produces sodium hydroxide. There is enough hydroxide generated to increase the activity of D-76 slowly with time. The solution to this worked out at Kodak in 1929 was to use a buffer mixture of borax and boric acid in place of the borax alone. Current packaged D-76 is evidently (from the MSDS) this version. Apparently someone at Kodak thought that switching from borax to Kodalk would have the same buffering effect; it didn't. I also have some question about the use of borates in pyro developers. Some older literature states that they are not compatible although I've forgotten the reason given. I've also read why Kodalk is OK in PMK although I again can't remember the reason or the source. I wonder how many have tried the old ABC pyro developer or Kodak's variation on it D-7 a pyro and metol developer. The metol acts as a preservative for the pyro extending its life. Both of these developers generate a stain image.