[pure-silver] Re: Paraformaldehyde/Acetone in lith developers

  • From: BILL WILLIAMS <krbill_10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:43:53 -0800 (PST)

Same subject more or less, for those interested in lith printing and lith
developers:

I'll prefix this with the statement that I have no chemistry knowledge.  Not
even high school chemistry. So I'm not one to be followed blindly.  I do read a
lot about anything I throw together before doing so, I'm not totally crazy.  I
take precautions, go slowly and carefully. And I dispose of everything properly
when finished with it.

I had purchased some labor partner LP-Lith some 4 or 5 years ago.  At the same
time I purchased some FotoSpeed LD-20.  I liked the LD-20 better and eventually
I let the B part of the LP-Lith go bad.  When I discovered it, I just tossed
the bad B part, and made some home brew B part to go with the A part.  The B
part is what contained the hydroquinone.  So I mixed up 18 grams of
hydroquinone in 100 ml of propolene glycol along with about a half of a gram of
sodium ascorbate.  I use 50 ml of this with 100 ml of the LP-Lith Part A and
WTM 1 litre.  It works just fine for lith prints, and last a very long time in
tray or bottle.   The A part says it contains 2-5 % 1,4-Dihydroxybenzol and
.5-2 % sodium hydroxide.  I haven't looked up the 1,4-Dihdroxybenzol to see
what it is. Maybe by the time I run out of the A part I'll have a homebrew A
part that works well with the homebrew B part.