[pure-silver] Re: Paraformaldehyde/Acetone in lith developers

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:22:00 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "BILL WILLIAMS" <krbill_10@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 7:44 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Paraformaldehyde/Acetone in lith developers

Kodak Super RT has Sodium Formaldehyde Bisulfite, according to the MSDS. The dry form of sodium formaldehyde bisulfite can be found as the (I believe) only ingredient in ClorAmX which is use to remove clorine and ammonia from aquarium water. The wet form is Amquel, used for the same purpose. I use the Amquel, as I don't do a lot of lith printing, and liquid is handier for me. I believe that 20 ml of Amquel is equivalent to 5 grams of the dry sodium formaldehyde bisulfite.

I find the odor of the 'SFB' is not irritating as is that of acetone. That is, I can always smell the acetone, but not the sodium formaldehyde bisulfite. I also have on hand formalin, which I sometimes use. It too has an ordor, but again, it is not as irritating to me as is acetone. And, acetone is flammable. You can order quite a bit of the sodium formaldehyde bisulfite in bulk for 50 or so dollars.

It is always amazing to me the stuff you can get at swimming pool shops, aquarium shops, and the grocery store. Groceries used to carry Red Devil Lye, perfectly pure sodium hydroxide, and also 20 Mule-Team Borax, also pure enough for photographic uses. Both are useful in themselves but can be combined in solution to form "Kodalk" AKA sodium metaborate, pentahydrate (although Kodak called it octahydrate).