[pure-silver] Re: Paraformaldehyde/Acetone in lith developers

  • From: BILL WILLIAMS <krbill_10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:44:43 -0800 (PST)

Kodak Super RT has Sodium Formaldehyde Bisulfite, according to the MSDS.  The
dry form of sodium formaldehyde bisulfite can be found as the (I believe) only
ingredient in ClorAmX which is use to remove clorine and ammonia from aquarium
water. The wet form is Amquel, used for the same purpose.  I use the Amquel, as
I don't do a lot of lith printing, and liquid is handier for me.  I believe
that 20 ml of Amquel is equivalent to 5 grams of the dry sodium formaldehyde
bisulfite.

I find the odor of the 'SFB' is not irritating as is that of acetone.  That is,
I can always smell the acetone, but not the sodium formaldehyde bisulfite.  I
also have on hand formalin, which I sometimes use.  It too has an ordor, but
again, it is not as irritating to me as is acetone.  And, acetone is flammable.
 You can order quite a bit of the sodium formaldehyde bisulfite in bulk for 50
or so dollars.