[pure-silver] [OT] Filmholders, Septums, Total-Disasters

  • From: "Michael Healy" <emjayhealy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:04:21 -0700

So I'm trolling for a darkslide replacement the other day, and the house guru
of the LF
department says, "Ho jees, not a Riteway, I absolutely refuse to carry those."
Awhile
back, he says, he sat down with his buddy (who happens to be one of the
big-time LF
camera makers, and happens to live-work-manufacture in this neck of the woods).
They
made  measurements, and every one of fhe film holders they measured, every one,
had
the septum ever so much off center. I think he told me that the Riteways are
the worst
culprits, but Liscos and Fidelities didn't escape him either. Very little
tolerance for the
placement of that septum, you know, and all these manufacturers are cranking
out
shoddy septums. He had one guy who could never get pictures in focus. First he
replaced his camera. (This is a sales guy talking...) Next all the lenses.
Finally there was
only one thing it could be: those holders. And that, presumably thousands of
dollars
later, probably spent in this sales guy's shop, THAT turned out to be the
problem!

He isn't finshed yet. The real problem, he says, is that you can't always even
tell. It won't
be the whole image that's out of focus. It'll be out of focus here or there
only. So here's
what I gotta do: I gotta throw away my two dozen 4x5 Liscos and Fidelities, and
of
coursre those Riteways, too, those things belong in hell's Nineth Circle. Throw
out every
one of them and get myself a bunch of Toyo holders. And mirabile dictu! He just
happens to stock those. (He didn't say what I'm supposed to do about my
pre-WWII
8x10 holders. Those seem to be working fine, too, but who we gonna believe, my
lying
eyes?)

I've been needing to get myself a feeler gauge anyhow, because I need to check
couple of my spark plugs. So when I do, I'm going to check all of mine just to
spite this
guy. Trouble is, I have never, but never, heard of any rampant problem with
maladjusted
septums. Nor have I ever experienced any noticable problems with spotty focus.
Well,
none at least that I wouldn't attribute to a maladjusted back standard or maybe
maladjusted lensboard.

Is there legitimacy to this guy's claim? Have I been ignorant all these years
about
something known to everybody else? Are all of my images secretly out of focus?

Mike Healy