[pure-silver] Re: [OT] Filmholders, Septums, Total-Disasters

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:17:24 +0100

Tony

One variation in ground glass design is the addition of a Fresnel lens. Its
purpose is to provide even illumination over the entire ground glass, making
focusing, especially in image corners, significantly easier. The Fresnel
lens is a flat piece of plastic, with one side built up from a series of
thin concentric rings, which function like a lens. The rings are usually
barely perceptible to the naked eye, but become obvious when viewed through
a focus loupe.

A Fresnel lens will equalize image brightness when placed either in front of
or behind the ground glass, but there are some pros and cons with either
setup. When a Fresnel lens is added to an existing camera back, it is far
simpler to place it behind the ground glass. The ground glass retains its
position, and the alignment with existing film holders is maintained.
However, in addition to image formation on the textured surface of the
ground glass, it is possible to focus an image on the ridges of the
concentric rings of the Fresnel lens. The image formation on two separate
surfaces can make accurate focusing difficult.

Alternatively, the Fresnel lens can be added in front of the ground glass.
This has the advantage of image formation only taking place on one surface,
since the ridges are in contact with the textured surface of the ground
glass. However, the disadvantage is that the ground glass, and the
associated focus plane, is out of its original position. Consequently, the
focus plane is no longer aligned with the film plane, and the camera back
must be machined or adjusted to allow for the Fresnel lens thickness. In
either setup, make sure that the textured surface of the ground glass faces
the lens and is aligned with the film plane, and that the ridges of the
Fresnel lens are facing the ground glass.

I advise against placing the Fresnel lens in front of the ground glass. If
placed behind, no focus correction is required.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com