[pure-silver] Re: How do I increase local contrast in my shadows when printing?

  • From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:48:07 -0400

The PC filters made by the paper manufacturers are designed to allow
contrast changes while at the same time keep exposure changes minimal as you
move from filter to filter.   If you want the highest contrast possible from
a paper just expose with a blue filter.  Any blue filter.  If you want to be
precise get the spectral sensitivity curves from the paper manufacturer and
the dye density curves for the filter and see where the filter cuts off and
the valley for the high contrast dip is and blend the two.  You are not
interested in ratios.  You want to cut (clip) the exposure to the soft
contrast silver grains.   With out looking, 500nm should be a good valley
location so a 47B will work well.  The difference between Blue filters and
magenta filters is additive vs. subtractive systems.

Dave