[pure-silver] Re: How do I increase local contrast in my shadows when printing?

  • From: Camclicker@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:08:27 EDT

In a message dated 9/18/2005 10:06:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi there,
I was printing up a photo tonight, from a roll of 35mm HIE and I have a  dark
windmill set against a blue sky.  Because I had an R72 (89b) IR  Filter on,
the blue sky is very dark - which is quite typical of IR  shots.

The film has already been developed and I am now printing using Ilford MG  IV
RC pearl paper.  Even if I use a grade 5 filter, I can't seen to get
sufficient contrast between the dark sky and the windmill blades.  I can  scan
the
print in tomorrow if it helps woth suggestions, but without changing  paper
brands or doing (selenium) toning, is there anything else I could try to  get
an
increase in local contrast to make the windmill blades stand out more  against
the sky?

regards
Peter

There is a whole subject of Split Grade Printing with hundreds  of disciples
who will, I'm sure, give you specific directions.  Simply  put it is a system
where you determine your highlight exposure in terms of  contrast and your
shadow exposure in terms of density.

Your contrast exposure is found using a "0 Grade" filter by step wedge with
the Yellow filter and then the density ("Grade 5") is applied on top  of the
contrast exposure with the Magenta filter.  The density  (Magenta) step wedge
is found on top of the decided upon Yellow  exposure.

As I said, there are many advocates of Split Grade printing, I am just  one
and I'm sure there are some who will disagree with my explanation, but  that's
what makes the world go around.

Bruce
Brooklyn, NY
camclicker@xxxxxxx