[pure-silver] Re: How do I increase local contrast in my shadows when printing?

  • From: "Michael Healy" <emjayhealy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:28:11 -0700

I think the image originally at stake was shot on Kodak HIE, wasn't it? That
stuff is the
biggest crap shoot you could come up with. Forget paying attention to how it's
developed. That neg is going to hinge on what reflects IR, what time of day it
was, the
time of year, the angle, yadda yadda yadda. I agree, though. I would reshoot it
myself
instead of screwing around at an enlarger.

It might also be worthwhile to approach the subject at different times of day.
Or at least
shoot it from different angles while there. In theory IR works best at the
height of day,
but I've shot it at 5 PM at the ocean. Almost toa mere one or two images,
circling and
moving in and out, and maybe one single bloody image will come out to your
liking. Part
of the trouble here might be the inclination to take a "normal" shooting
mentality to the
field with this film. With IR, you see something, you can't just shoot it. You
need to work
it. Of course, that goes with ALL shooting in the field. Trebly so with IR.
Only luck will
get you a good IR shot if one is all you took of the thing.

It wouldn't hurt to use more than one filter, either. I think a #87 was used?
That's a
fantastic IR filter; but so is a #29 red. I might try using each if the image
seems that
good. You should get very different results. Then again, with IR, maybe you
won't, too!

Mike

Date sent:              Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:56:50 -0500
To:                     pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx