[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: Gianni Rondinini <bugbarbeq@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:06:33 +0200

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:29:35 +0200, you (Gianni Rondinini
<bugbarbeq@xxxxxxx>) wrote:

>>   I'm thinking $150-200USD an hour.
>
>i wouldn't pay that much even if newton himself came to my house to

uhm, i realize my mail sounds a bit rude. disregard it.

read that this way: 200usd/hour is a big lot of money, anything you
may be talking about [1], and expecially if you go on charging for
prints and films, too. i don't know of any "common" photographer
taking that money. i think that making your customers pay for film and
prints *and* some extra for your time is ok, but 150/200usd seems me
really too much.

consider that today not even a pro asks that money for industrial
photo, which often (always?) is harder than glamour and/or wedding (at
least, the average time spent/number of good shots ratio is very
high).

if you talk about wedding the average rate is very low, expecially
because many pro's have moved to digital and are making price wars
because digital is cheap, shooting is for free and they choose the
images on their own instead of having people decide what to print and
what not to (and they're selling crap instead of wedding services, but
this is another thing).
a great wedding photographer will ask you no more than 2.000/2.500usd
for 2 man-day of work (i mean, at least 20 man-hours of work), since
he'll arrive at 8 a.m. and will leave something around 6 p.m.. he will
also have at least an assistant.
that money will include a wedding genuine leather album with 80 to 180
8x12" images (mine has 186) attached on heavy cream-coloured thick
first class paper, all the films, prints and everything else needed to
do the job.
in my case, we had chosen 186 photos out of about 600, mostly colour
negatives and some black and white ones. all of them were printed by
hand. it took 3 months to have our wedding album.

i hope i was more useful this time. i'm sorry for my last mail.

regards,

[1] there are no jobs paid that much in italy, of any kind, unless
you're a very famous lawyer or doctor or a politician or work in high
finance.
--
Gianni Rondinini (30, tanti, RA)
Nikon user - Bmw driver