[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:27:53 -0700

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

>    I had a friend of mine who got married. He loved my work. He asked me
> to shoot his wedding for free. I considered it a gift. For him, he was
> having his buddy shoot his wedding. I was going to cover the wedding the
> way I wanted to cover it and the groom knew that. The bride? She wanted
> a full out wedding photog with all the fixings and assumed that would be
> me.
>
>    Let's just say, she was REALLY ticked when she didn't see any
> close-up shots of the candle on the guest's dinner table with the bride
> and groom in out of focus background. Yech.
>
>    So ya, I've learned my lessons.

I had the good fortune to do some (non-wedding) work with a photographer
that did a lot of weddings and learned this lesson without being the
brunt of an unhappy bride.

My personal advice?  You pursue photography because you enjoy doing it
your way.  Don't think that taking money will make it any better; be
totally self-indulgent and worry about your own happiness.  Don't accept
clients; decide which projects you *want* to shoot.  When someone offers
you an opportunity for a project, be totally upfront that it's all
about you and your vision and they're lucky you're even considering the
project.

I'm serious.

Dana