[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:42:16 -0400

At 11:43 AM 4/20/2006 , >Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

>have to pay me. If that prices me out of my local market, so be it. But
>I am shooting MF and LF, printed by hand on FB paper.

April 20, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I'm in complete agreement, although it makes for a difficult business
model, I think.

>    The biggest mistake you can do is to do someone a favor and not
>charge them. Unless they are family (and even then) charge. You will
>always be taken advantage of.

Sadly, this is true. People don't realize what work their demands entail.
You can use all the classy old film cameras you like, but you can only
charge as if you used a point and shoot digital. Smaller print should cost
smaller price, right?

>    So really, why did I bother with the 4x5 and the Hassy?

Well, only because you love them. Maybe we should just start giving
prospective customers an information sheet that expresses our motives and
reasons for charging as we do. Maybe no one should get the opportunity to
take our work off to the Frontier...

Well, there's a better living to be made in accountancy, so anyone young
contmeplating a carreer shuld think about it. Medicine is good, too, my
mother always said.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.