[pure-silver] Re: Fees

  • From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:21:35 -0400

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:55:22 -0500, "Eric Neilsen Photography"
<eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> I would suggest that it has to do with your target market. There are
> studios here in Dallas, that charge a sitting fee which includes 1)
> 8x10 finished print - that means mounted with an over matte, but no
> frame for $750.00. That might include 10 to 15 rolls of medium format
> shots; extra prints start at $250.00 and the sky is the limit. If you
> are looking for pricing guidance, check with the PPA or similar
> organization. I believe that you can pretty much get away with what
> ever the customer thinks you are worth. There are wedding
> photographers that pull in a whopping $5,000 to $10,000 per weeding! I
> can't believe that people would pay that, but for some that is
> nothing. The brides are putting on $15,000 dresses. It is SICK! But
> hey, that is just me. What some people spend on a wedding an entire
> village could eat WELL for a year.

I'm interested in things to discourage people from asking me to shoot
their wedding. I've figured out that "never mention the price" strategy
would work the best. Let them do the research and tell them to make me
an offer, and I'll never have to refuse. They go and do research... all
they can find is photo students with 35mm SLR or entry level digicam for
$1000 or pros from $3000 minimum for shooting plus the cost of prints
and albums... so they assume I'd charge them at least $5000 and they
sorry they asked. It works perfect for me.

There are some people who don't think they'd have to pay that much, and
try to get me to take the job for half of market price. So I took the
price list of one of the local pro labs (that wedding photogs use) and
calculated what the lab cost would be. You know what, if I want to
duplicate the coverage of standard $5000 package, nominal lab cost would
be somewhere between $1500 and $2500. Of course if you do this routinely
you may get significant discount, but I found $2500 nominal lab charge
to be somewhat useful to discourage people. Indeed, wedding photogs tell
me that their labs are all pretty bad and they have to make multiple
trips to get the images printed right, especially until they learn how
they want images printed.

If anyone knows more of these stories, let me know.