[pure-silver] Re: Experts: Ansel Adams photos found at garage sale worth $200 million

  • From: Don Sweet <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:48:30 +1200

Peter

Surely you don't ask the FBI or the Attorney General or forensics experts about
the authenticity of artworks, and try to build a case "beyond reasonable
doubt".  Using those strategies, commonly employed in adversarial litigation,
such as a criminal trial, just makes me more sceptical.  Not to put too fine a
point on things, people have not just been jailed for life, they been sentenced
to death on the basis of statements like that, only to be pardoned posthumously
with the help of DNA analysis.

If these are Adams' negatives, shouldn't we be hearing from experts such as
curators, and colleagues and workmates of Adams, and of course his family?

My main point of course was that any coherent principle of compensation for
mistakes of this sort would need to work both ways.

Don Sweet