[pure-silver] Re: Experts: Ansel Adams photos found at garage sale worth $200 million

  • From: "Bela Gutman" <bgutman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:35:26 -0700

To those whom this issue might be of interest, I thought this explains
eloquently the issue discussed earlier in this forum.  This is not only a
discussion on legal, but moral obligations.

Dr. Chaim Povarsky, Professor of Law and Director of our Institute of Jewish
Law. He holds a

LL.B. degree from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, and LL.M and J.S.D.
degrees

from Tel Aviv University.

“The Concept of Justice”

“The application of the principle of justice in cases of unjust enrichment
raises the

question as to the meaning of justice in the context of unjust enrichment.
Justice is one

of the foundations of the law.”

“However, the concept of justice is very broad, and may signify a variety of

values such as truthfulness, rightness, impartiality, honesty, integrity,
evenhandedness

and fairness. While a judge may be required to exercise all of these aspects of
justice, the

principle of unjust enrichment may be based on one aspect of justice.
Furthermore, there

are many categories of justice; philosophers speak about legal justice,
equitable justice,

distributive justice, corrective justice, social justice, conventional justice,
divine justice

and natural justice. What is the meaning of justice as the basis of unjust
enrichment?

American legal scholars stress the value of fairness as the aspect of justice
that

underlies the principle of unjust enrichment. The meaning of justice in cases
of unjust

enrichment in Jewish law is not clear.”

“It would appear that according to this view if a person himself obtains a
benefit

at another’s expense he must make restitution although he did not make a
profit. Does it

mean that in this case the benefit is the basis for restitution? Not
necessarily.

The basis for the defendant’s obligation to make restitution is rather the
plaintiff’s loss. However,

the plaintiff’s loss in itself would not generate liability, because it is
indirect damage; the

defendant’s liability in this case is based on the benefit he derived from the
plaintiff’s

loss. It is a tortuous liability rather then a restitutional liability.
According to this view, a

person is not liable for indirect damage only if he did not benefit from the
damage; if he

did benefit from it he will be liable in tort for the damage.”

From: "bonner" < <mailto://bguil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> bguil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, July 28, 2010 5:21 am
To: < <mailto://pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Regarding the plates, there is probably no greater expert on AA than Alan Ross,
his prior assistant who continues to print his negatives for the AA foundation.
He has reviewed the images and come to the following conclusion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interestingly enough, the New York Times has not seen fit to provide coverage
of this claim as yet.

The images in the Norsigian collection do seem to be the work of a competent
photographer working in Yosemite, San Francisco and Carmel.  In a format used
by AA in the late 20's.  The camera locations are similar to known Adams
favorites - but then, most of those were primary tourist viewpoints offering an
obvious place to plant a camera.

Some of the images are of yachting scenes on San Francisco Bay.  Nothing of any
similarity in subject or format exists in the Adams Archive.  LIkewise some
utterly bland images of a Spanish-style mission.

A major claim in the voice for authenticity is that one image - I believe of
the Jeffrey Pine on Sentinel Dome - shows some same/similar cloud formations as
exist in a known Adams image. Anyone who knew Ansel also knows that he very
often had fellow photographers at his side - either by invitation or
coincidence - when he was out photographing.  The clouds could easily have been
recorded by a different camera a few feet away.

The plates seem to show signs of fire damage.  Yes, Ansel's Yosemite darkroom
caught fire in 1938 and a number of prized negatives were lost.  For me, this
is the weak-link/downfall of the authenticity claimants.  Ansel was working
with a 6.5x8.5 plate camera when he did Monolith in 1927.  The fire was in
1938.  A good number of negatives made prior to the fire had been printed many
times - Pine Branches in Snow comes to mind, for one example.  As well as I
know Ansel's work, and as far as I have otherwise heard, not ONE authenticated
AA print from ANY of the Norsigian plates is known.  If it was a good image -
and some of these are - Ansel couldn't have NOT resisted making more than one
print of each - and even then SOME would have survived to exist in Ansel's own
archive or in the collections of photgapehr and Sierra Club friends.

They are some nice images, but I cannot believe they are the work of Ansel
Adams.

Perhaps the images have some value, but very unlikely to be AA.

BG