[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:20:56 +0800

On 15 June 2011 04:24, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So apologies if I come across a bit confused!

Don't worry, I *am* a bit confused. ;-)

I had thought, when I read the Reader's Handbook ruling, that it was
completely quoted from Newsletter #28 -- there's no closing quotation mark,
you see, so I though the Mentora paragraph was quoted (or at least
paraphrased) from something official. Turns out that's not the case.

Because I'm getting a bit confused, here are the facts:

   1. Weaponmastery gives a +3 bonus to all random number picks with a Bow.
   2. At Mentora rank, Weaponmastery gives a +2 bonus to all random number
   picks with a Bow. (It's worth noting that it *doesn't* explicitly say
   "...in addition to the usual +3".)
   3. Grand Weaponmastery gives a +3 bonus to all random number picks with a
   Bow.
   4. About half of the relevant sections in the Grand Master series say to
   add 3 (*not* phrased as a reminder). Just as many say to add 5. One says
   to add 4.
   5. All but one of the relevant sections in the New Order series say to
   add 3 (and *are* phrased as a reminder). One says to add 5.
   6. I don't think anyone's yet gone looking for random number picks with a
   Bow that don't have *any* mention of adding a Grand Weaponmastery bonus.
   7. For comparison, Weaponmastery gives a +3 bonus to Combat Skill.
   8. At Scion-kai rank, Weaponmastery gives a +4 bonus to Combat Skill
   (which *is* stated to replace the usual +3).
   9. Grand Weaponmastery gives a +5 bonus to Combat Skill.
   10. Newsletter #28 states that this +5 replaces the +4 Scion-kai bonus.

And here are the possible assumptions and rulings:

   - The Mentora +2 is in addition to the basic Weaponmastery +3. (I think
   this is fairly uncontroversial and that everyone is happy with it, right?)
   - You don't simply stack the Bow bonuses for Weaponmastery *and* Mentora
   *and* Grand Weaponmastery. (Ditto.)
   - When a section says to add 3 (or 5, or 4) if you have Grand
   Weaponmastery...
      - ...this is a reminder of (or instead of) the general rule, and not
      an extra bonus.
      - ...you also get to add your general bonus. (I don't think anyone is
      arguing for this, but it's a possibility.)
   - These varying bonuses for Grand Weaponmastery...
      - ...are intentional and should be left alone.
      - ...might not be intentional but should be left alone.
      - ...should be made consistent.
      - Grand Weaponmastery's +3 bonus...
      - ...is correct.
      - ...is a copy-and-paste error, and should say +5, like the Combat
      Skill increase.
      - ...is an improvement to the Mentora's +2 bonus.
      - The Mentora's +2 bonus...
      - ...is added on to the Grand Weaponmastery bonus, the same as it was
      to the Weaponmastery bonus. (A loyalty bonus for anyone who
played at least
      five Magnakai books and chose Weaponmastery.)
      - ...is the basis for assuming Grand Weaponmastery ought to be a +5.
      - ...is improved to +3 by Grand Weaponmastery.
   - Weaponmastery's +3 bonus...
      - ...is carried over without improvement to Grand Weaponmastery. (It
      acts a loyalty bonus for anyone who played even one Magnakai
book and chose
      Weaponmastery, but hasn't taken Grand Weaponmastery yet.)
      - ...suggests that the Grand Weaponmastery bonus ought to be higher.
      - ...is added on to the Grand Weaponmastery +3, because *that* bonus
      is based on the Mentora's +2. (A 12-booker who then takes Grand
      Weaponmastery gets +6.)

Despite it being based on mistaking the Reader's Handbook ruling for a
Newsletter ruling, I stand by my support of "Grand Weaponmastery gives +3
and the Mentora bonus applies too". I support *not* changing all the "add
3/4/5" sections to the same value.

--
Tim Pederick