[projectaon] Re: Last of the 28thos errata

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:22:24 +0100

On 13/06/2014 23:37, Jonathan Blake wrote:
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Do we plan to decide on the outstanding footnote issues across the books
before/after we release Book 28?

In the interest of time, I've been holding off on addressing those
issues (or even paying close attention) until after we've published
28. I'm open to reconsidering doing it prior to publication, but only
if we think it will take just a day or two of further discussion and
work.

My main thought is that it would be nice to get all the books in a state where there is nothing outstanding against them. Currently that entails:

1) testing The Hunger of Sejanoz for spelling/gameplay issues
2) agreeing on the placement of the small illustrations in Book 28 (done?)

3) footnotes issues across the books
4) re-scanning the maps for Books 9-18 to remove jpeg artefacting, and editing certain labels (see <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Errata/MapCorrections>)

That's absolutely everything left to do on the Lone Wolf books (unless/until someone points out any minor typos, and the Mantikore editions resolve any footnote issues). I don't know if you kept copies of the colour maps around in a non-lossy format, Jon; it would be great and speed things up immensely if you did! ;-)

Yesterday I ran the latest iteration of 28thos through a spelling checker and found no new problems with it, so any theoretical typos that remain in the book are proper words used incorrectly. Let's hope there are none!

I think most of the footnote issues I raised (post dated 30/03/2014) are straightforward and can be decided upon/resolved quickly, though there are a few that might require a bit of discussion. Conversion to errata where possible seems the way to go, I reckon. I can't see it would delay release of Book 28 by any more than a week or two,* and would mean we don't have the pain of having to frequently update the "All-in-One" mega-download of all the books.

* And it's surprising how quickly people respond about contentious issues such as footnotes and how we can remove them!

I just submitted a few corrections to the XML, and after those are
reflected in the test area (do you mind handling this, Simon?), I
think we're ready for a comment period next week.

Done!

And now back to the World Cup...

Thanks, and good luck. :)

Heh, we need it! But it was more a statement to explain that I wouldn't be checking my E-mails until this morning. And that sleep deprivation might result in my not getting the point straight away in some correspondence...